ABC CREATE is here to support this collaborative educational community, and we want to do what we can to help you with the shifts you are experiencing with the transitions to online/remote learning. The ABC CREATE values of collaboration, equitable access, innovative teaching and learning, and technological fluency remain highly relevant as does our mission. The focal point of classroom STEAM integrations may have shifted a bit for now, but the tenets, frameworks, and resources are in place to support our mission and you, our community.
Please use the very basic survey to share some of your successes, helpful resources, and/or tips & tricks that others within ABC CREATE might benefit from -- as well as to reach out to communicate any needs or questions you may have.
We'll review the results and use what we receive to try to take some steps to empower and strengthen you and your work. Please know that we may publish what you submit. If you would like to submit anonymously, you can. Otherwise, please include your name and email at the end of the survey.
Wednesdays from 12:30 PM - 1:30 PM
Fridays from 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Zoom Meeting https://us04web.zoom.us/j/218545006
We hope that you all are safe, healthy, and well. As we continue to grapple with the transition to socially distanced learning, our CMU team from the CREATE Lab, the ETC, the Simon Initiative, and the School of Computer Science will continue holding office hours to stay connected with you and to keep learning about how we can help. While we do have a theme that we discuss below, as always, we’ll respond to whatever comes up. In this rapidly changing landscape, we are committed to supporting educators through uncertainty and the sudden uptake of technology-based learning approaches. We will continue to host two sessions per week: one on Wednesdays from 12:30 - 1:30p and one on Fridays from 11a - 12p. Please feel free to drop in or out at any time during those hours. These are meant to be helpful and flexible first and foremost.
This week, we’ll loosely focus on a theme: Planning for “Indefinitely” while Launching Distance Learning, to facilitate discussion about: how you’re planning for indefinite remote learning, where there are gaps and needs at your school or district, and what we can do to help. These office hours also hold space for you to connect with educator colleagues from other organizations as well as our team at CMU. Bringing everyone together across communities will help us activate resources and apply them where they are most needed. In these unprecedented circumstances, we think it’s most important to stay connected with each other and learn together about how to develop a new normal that will support schools and communities in uncertain times.
To join the meeting, please use the link below:
Location: Remote via Zoom
Date and Time: Designated Afterschool (4 - 8 PM) and Saturday sessions (8 AM - 12 PM)
See full schedule below.
Overview: With support from our PAsmart grant, ABC CREATE is continuing to develop Learning Pathways (learning unit modules focusing on integrating K-12 STEAM technologies and project-based learning). We are looking for educators who are interested in designing something new, capturing an existing classroom project, or completing a learning pathway already in progress. Best practices for remote delivery of instruction may also be considered.
Stipends: PAsmart funds will pay a $160 stipend per afterschool or Saturday session for your participation. Satisfactory progress will be monitored by the Learning Pathways Leaders. Stipends are available first to educators from an ABC CREATE participating district; other educators who are interested in participating should contact Colleen Smith and will be considered.
For Newbies (those engaging in a Learning Pathway session for the first time):
- You will be required to participate in an initial full session. A Learning Pathways Leader will connect with you and any others via Zoom to lay the foundation, to explain the purpose and current status of our Learning Pathways, to introduce you to the template, and to guide you as you begin to develop your pathway.
- After your introduction/orientation, you will begin working on your Learning Pathway; the Learning Pathways Leader will be available via phone or video conference to answer any questions or to talk through the development of your pathway.
- You will connect again via Zoom for a mid-point check-in, and then you will have time to continue to develop your pathway. The Learning Pathways Leader will again only be a phone call or Zoom Chat away if you need help.
- Near the end of the session, there will be a Closing Check-In where you can report on your progress, ask questions, and define next steps.
- You will register for at least one of the assigned times.
- You will have the option of tuning in to the introduction and connecting with the group via Zoom at the beginning of the session, although this is not required after your first session.
- You will connect with a Learning Pathways Leader at some point during the session for which you have registered to provide updates, share progress, exchange insights and perspectives, and define next steps toward completion of your pathway. The Learning Pathways Leader will reach out to you to set a scheduled time and to establish the mode for connecting during the session for which you have registered.
- You may register for subsequent Learning Pathways as long as you are making demonstrated progress on your pathway.
Register for an Afterschool Session 4-8pm
Register for a Weekend Session 8am-12pm
Creative Robotics at Home
BirdBrain Technologies has put forth a schedule of LIVE webinars (some that require no robotics or coding -- simply cardboard creations) to support deep and joyful learning that you want to incorporate in the learning for your students and/or for your own children.
Look here for a schedule of LIVE webinars (some overlap with the Creative Robotics at Home + some designed solely for educators) as well as for Self-Paced Video Courses. You will find some that require a robot and some that do not.
Location: Remote via Zoom
Date and Time: Monday - Friday , 45 minutes, 11am + 3pm
Pop-Up PLNs (Professional Learning Networks) are engaging, virtual opportunities to explore new technologies and teaching practices while connecting with other educators, all from the convenience of your living room! Sessions are 45 minutes, held at 11 AM and 3 PM EST each day, and open to all educators. Webinar link: https://paiu.zoom.us/j/638767040
Questions: Email Tyler Samstag at firstname.lastname@example.org
April 6-17, 2020
Participate in live, streamed sessions or view recordings of the sessions at your convenience.
Join Wonder Workshop for a FREE series of award-winning webinars, speakers, and workshops all available in a virtual setting that will bring together educators and parents from all around the country to learn how to engage kids in the exciting topic of coding and robotics. Dash and Dot robots are not necessary! Learn more and register here.
Due to the increasing risk posed by the Coronavirus and the strong recommendation for all staff and students to stay off of Penn State New Kensington’s Campus, we will be unable to fulfill any resource requests at this time.
Likewise, if you have any resources checked out at this time, you needn’t worry about returning them until campus has reopened. Hopefully, this will reduce unneeded stress in this difficult time.